Saturday, October 11, 2008

Vacation and visitors

After Busan, I took a week off to show around two German visitors, who are currently studying in China: Hanne and Christian. After there arrival I decided to start with traditional Korean food: dulsok bi bim bap (rice mixed with all kinds of vegetables in a hot stone bowl). Afterwards, I decided to show them my favorite traditional Korean bar. The entrance almost scared them off and we decided to capture the moment in a picture illustrating that I had also already showed them the Korean way of symbolizing 'no' (anyo). Once inside they were quite happy with the choice. The next morning, we had to find out that a lot of temples were closed on tuesday. The initial disappointmen was quickly swept away by the opportunity to participate in a Korean bell ringing ceremony nearby. It felt like in a movie - the three of us in between all the traditionally clad Korean soldiers. We then visited the Jogyesa temple, toured through Insadong for some shopping, looked at the artificial creek through downtonw, city hall and finally stumbled across a palace near city hall, that I myself had never been to before. Inside were traditional Korean palace buildings as well as two roman-style houses, one of which held a traditional art exhibition, we decided to attend. The eventful day was rounded off by some shopping in Dongdaemun. I never anticpated shopping for clothes and shoes could be that much fun. We didn't even find the time to look at the performances on the multiple stages, which were my initial reason for going there. Nonetheless, it was only the beginning of a wonderful week.

No comments: