Monday, August 4, 2008

Itaewon and 1st work day

Sunday was about finally setting up the computer appropriately, i.e. downloading & installing Skype as well as finally getting the room organized by fully unpacking my stuff, buying a trash can etc. Once that was done, Johannes and I went to Itaewon, the foreign quarter of Seoul with loads of foreigners (that's one western tourist out of a hundred, of course there may be plenty of asian tourists). Anyways, lots of gift shops, antique shops, custom taylors, clothing stores etc. all on basicly one street. Most importantly: finally a place to eat real German food (no, we did not try it, but they do have sausages and Weizen). We did interview some taylors regarding price and got answers ranging from 200 to 600 € for custom made suits made from all kinds of materials. Since it was impossible for us to tell, what was a really good cloth or deal, we postponed the decision. But buying something custom made here (in Korea not necessarily in Itaewon) is definitely worth a thought. Monday I had my first day of work. I decided to be there early and ended up being 2nd in the office of eight. A bit earlier and I wouldn't have been able to get in. Not doing that tomorrow ;-)
Applied for an access pass and installed the important programs on my laptop at my desk (see picture). Survived my first day in "mensa" with rice and shrimps. Not as much food per person here as in Mainz. Might manage to lose some pounds here after all. Met with my boss and noticed that this visit might be quite a bit of work. We shall see. Probably less pictures and stuff the rest of the week, but you never know...

No comments: