Saturday, August 9, 2008

Arrival of DAAD students

So it's finally a week that I've been in Korea and five DAAD students form Mainz are about to arrive in Seoul for a six to seven month stay. But before I got to meet them, my colleagues decided to order some food. I was given the choice between noodles in soup and noodles with red sauce, which were described as very spicy. I leave it to you to guess what I chose, despite not being the biggest fan of Korean soups. A little later, we all gather in one of the offices and I'm given a large metal bowl, that is ice cold. And so was the soup inside. If you look at the picture closely, you might actually see some of the ice blocks floating around in it... In the center there is the Korean version of a 'Maultasche', which is actually really good. A few were delivered along with the meals, because we had ordered so much. There is was also a piece of meat, half an egg and stripes of pear along with countless noodles.
After meeting up with the students, setting up their housing and going shopping for bed stuff, we hit the bars for a first traditional dinner. Therefore, we set on the floor and had Korean barbeque again. Note that Hyoseon cuts the porc with a pair of scissors. It's the first time since I got here, that we also drink 'soju' again, a typical Korean liquor with about 20% alcohol. Another really nice thing about Korea is that you shouldn't really drink alcohol alone, because someone else should fill your glass for you. This is the part were I learn to enjoy being the oldest of the German students, which in Korea is equivalent to having a higher status, i.e.: if one of them pours me a beer he must do so with both hands, while I may hold my cup with one hand. If I pour it for them, I may again do so with one hand, while they should use both to hold their cup. Wonder how many other 'benefits' I will get to enjoy here because of this... Happy to be able to stretch our legs again after dinner, we decide to hit one of the beer bars and enjoy another fruit plate before calling it a night. Seated around the table are four of the DAAD student along with me and Johannes, all making the typical 'v' sign, that Koreans make whenever there is a camera around. Most of the Korean students had to return either to their labs or their wives prior to this moment ;-)
Btw: I am afraid that if you want to see the interesting part of 'language lessons' you will have to install Korean language support files. At least my windows shows only question marks, while Linux actually displays Hangeul, but I obviously installed the required files there to run my keyboard.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well well well......