Sunday, July 19, 2009

Return to Nok-Du

Time is passing incredibly fast sometimes. I've only just spent a few days in Mainz and am already on my way back for my second three-month stay in Seoul. Leaving Mainz was a lot harder for me this time, but once I stepped out of the plane the excitement of being back in Korea quite successfully overcame the sadness of having left Mainz. Before leaving the airport, there is a little quirk worth mentioning about Korea: no matter what cell phone you bring it is impossible to tell whether it will work or not. The most likely answer, however, is: no. Because of this you can rent cell phones at the airport. It's actually quite cheap and you immediately have a Korean number and can call anywhere for little money. Afterwards I dragged my bag through the hot and extremely humid summer weather. The lonely planet guide book explicitely advises against visiting this time of year, but what the hell. Next goal was to meet with Sangtaik who had kindly arranged my housing here. We chose a place of comfort, where waiting would be air-conditioned and joyous: Dunkin' Donuts. I am staying two doors to the right of my former room, so for information and pictures refer to my first blog entry from ages ago. Next came an incredible slightly over an hour shopping spree through Nok-Du. I bought everything I deemed necessary for my stay here: bed sheets, linen, a pillow, glasses, a knife, a plate, a multi-outlet power strip, trash bags, toilet paper, post-it notes and probably even more for roughly a hundred Euros. Did I mention I arrived on Sunday? Shopping is definitely much more convenient here than in Germany.
To refill my strength I ate a 'fusion' dish, i.e. merged Korean-Western, for dinner: pork cutlet. A smooth transition from European to Korean dining is probably a good idea. After such a successful day, I felt like doing a little more than just unpacking and going to bed, so I made a short trip to Shillim. Two main reasons dictated the choice: first I wanted to make someone very special to me a little jealous ;) and second I didn't want to have to break my 'no donuts during the week' concept on the very first Monday that I am here... After a slightly exhausting, but donut-filled day I am now more than ready for bed.
BTW: Despite many such requests I will NOT rename the blog to include food in the title ;)
I will try, however, not be terribly repetitive as I know I have been today in the future and will only post more food pics, if I find something truly new.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

welcome back in Korea! remember to send me a postcard!!!