Sunday, July 26, 2009

Lotte...

Last year we had been to Namdaemun, Dongdaemun, the I-Park Mall and the COEX, but we had never gone out of our way to visit Lotte World, Lotte World Department Store and Lotte World Hotel. This had to change and so I went there on Saturday afternoon. Stepping out of the subway I was immediately overwhelmed by the shiny entrance area of Lotte department store, mart, world, hotel etc. underground with no obvious way to the surface nearby. Instead, I was welcomed by a fancy fountain with greek-style statues and made my way through an array glittering stores toward Lotte world. It was quite an amazing sight. There is a huge ice-skating rink on the bottom floor along with an entire amusement park on the top floor, all combined under a huge glass roof. Needless to say, there was also a bowling alley, a swimming pool, a movie theater and an impressive number of restaurants. Among them everything from Lotteria, a Lotte fast-food burger chain, to a Mövenpick Marché (!!!), a rather upper class buffet restaurant, which I thought existed only in Germany. Making my way to the surface I passed Star Avenue, an entertainment venue geared toward marketing Korea's most sought-after stars. Finally on the surface I was to be amazed yet again by an artificial island in the middle of a lake connected by a tram to Lotte World. The island featured all kinds of different rides as well as fantasy castles and bars. I returned inside to go up to the 12th level of the Lotte department store, unable to leave without spending a little money, and ended my trip peeking into the - as my map likes to call it - 'super deluxe' Lotte World hotel. I returned to Nok-Du with a little side trip via Apgujeong, intent on watching a movie in the huge Cine City, but sadly I either knew the english movies or did not want to see them (Harry Potter occupies way too many theaters) so I just strolled down Rodeo street and returned home.

No comments: