Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Mackerel & Mandu

Well, so it goes. Maybe I should put food in the title after all. But before doing that I'd like to share an impression of Seoul as seen from a restaurant in the I-Park mall. Note how hazy it is. It is also so humid that no matter what you do outside, you will be sweating - yes, sitting around doing nothing also works ;)
Anyhow, as of today I now truly have everything I need: a Korean keyboard, liquid soap, a big towel that never dries and soon internet access in the office. So I was quite happy on my way to lunch, when I had to notice that my open-mindedness toward food had taken a step back during my time in Germany. My colleagues insisted, however, that I should try the mackerel covered by red sauce and so I did. Uncertain of my future and slightly hesitant I got it, took a picture of it and started eating. It tasted remarkably well. Therefore, now my colleagues had to wait for me to find all the fish bones and eat the last piece of meat on it I could find. Once again I was left surprised by the quality of fish for slightly more than two Euros in the SNU dining hall. Afterwards I decided it was time to visit the SNU gym for some work-out. I deliberately risk repeating myself to praise this place: first, you can pay for entering only once without any difficulty and don't have to sign up for the rest of your life or be bothered by promotion people as is the case in Germany. Second, you get a towel, shorts and a t-shirt to wear and just throw it in the hamper for washing once your done working out. (You don't get shoes and socks and I obviously managed to forget to bring a second pair of the latter. Ah well, next time.) The entire place is air-conditioned (other than easy sports, where you die in summer) and water is free. Finally soap, hairbrushes, blowdriers, etc. are all available and included. Awesome. Anyhow, with slightly aching muscles I made my way back to Nok-Du and managed to find the Mandu (Korean dumpling) dumpling restaurant we enjoyed so much. I didn't manage to order the ones I wanted, however, but while attempting to make the waitress understand came across 'four large' mandu as an option. So I ordered those, since I had only seen regular size before. Can't say I prefer them over the small ones really, but they are certainly a sight, aren't they? And allow me to emphasize the price again: less than three euros in a restaurant!!!

3 comments:

Birgitta said...

Mandu looks good! Are they filled? What's the side dish?

Thor said...

Yes, they are. They are more similar to German Maultaschen than to dumplings, if you ask me. So it is a meat-vegetable mixture inside. Regarding the side dish other than the soy sauce I am a bit helpless. I remember we figured out what it was last year, but I forgot. If I remember or find out again, I will let you know :)

Thor said...

Ok, I finally found out: it is pickled radish (Rettich).