Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Culture day

On Sunday it was still greyish with the permanent threat of severe rainfalls, so I decided for a more or less indoor tour. I started by taking the Metro to seodaemun, where the independence park and gate, honoring the Korean freedom fighters against Japanes oppresion, are located. Close by is the seodaemun prison history hall, a former prison complex built entirely out of red brick by the Japanese to imprison, torture and execute members of the Korean resistance. As is apparent from the description of the events that have happened here, wounds caused by the Japanes rule have not yet healed. Next stop for me was the Deoksugung palace, which turned out to be the main palace, that I have already visited during the my first conference tour here. Since I was also surprised by heavy rain, I decided to explore the palace museum instead and have a traditional dinner in the cafeteria. As on Saturday, the weather cleared in the evening and I took a stroll along the Cheonggyecheon stream only to find a photo exhibition regarding the Korean war. Quite fascinating black and white pictures probably taken by someone accompanying the NATO forces. All in all a very instructive day.

No comments: