Monday, September 1, 2008

Dongdaemun

Saturday began with the usualy workout for me and Johannes, unaccompanied by any DAAD students, who were evidently still trying to recover from their night out before. Afterwards, we split up, me being intent on finally buying new hiking shoes for upcoming trips. The people I've asked recommended Dongdaemun for this purpose. On the rather long subway trip there, I decided to finally share the impression of a moderately crowded subway with you. Had it been really crowded, I couldn't have moved my arm to take the picture. Trust me, we have tried. Dongdaemun is an amazing place. It features an underground shopping center, a couple skyscrapers with enormous market-style malls in them and multiple endless streets with little market stalls selling everything from socks to food to electronics to books. I found my new Goretex hiking boots in the underground area and bought them from a very kind, older Korean man, who said that all Germans are nice and friendly and who was really helpful in arranging shoes that were actually my size - quite a problem here, I can tell you. Afterwards I headed back up to the surface, past the doosan mall, to one of the three remaining entrance gates of the ancient city walls. Sadly, there was a construction site on the front, obstructing the view on the circular wall surrounding the entrance on the outside. On my way back to the metro station I explored some of the side alleys, coming across a stone church, an little alley filled with shoes on all sides and countless other little stores. We then all met up to have dinner in Insa dong and concluded the day in a Korean Karaoke bar. For some reason, we were persuaded to take the VIP room, which turned out to be a great decision, since the sofa was really comfortable and the screen was amazing. All of us seem to be beginning to enjoy singing here, despite the many doubts all of us but Philipp have had about that.

No comments: